The Waterworks Museum is actively seeking people to join the Community of Volunteers at one of Herefordshire’s leading visitor attractions and custodian of important aspects of our industrial heritage.
Join the friendly team of volunteers at the Waterworks Museum and help to present our exciting new displays and unique working engines to everyone from local families and schools, to visitors from around the world.
We have a wide range of roles whatever your background, and there is always scope to take on extra responsibility as you get more involved. We operate an equal opportunities policy and full training is provided where necessary.
For details of current opportunities click HERE‘.
It is the membership which gives the Museum its solid base in the wider community. Membership subscription is excellent value money and could make a great gift.
Members receive free access to the Waterworks Museum on all public open days, copies of the award-winning newsletter WaterWords, and the opportunity to attend the Museum’s AGM and two social occasions – a winter social event and a summer Gala Day.
Many members also give their time, effort and expertise to the Museum as volunteers. Indeed everyone who works at the Museum is a volunteer and more are always needed.
Why We Need Volunteers
- The Museum is increasingly popular with many more visitors.
- We now open on 20 family in-steam days each year (previously 16)
- We are receiving more group visits and educational visits.
- We have more working engines and displays, all of which require maintenance.
- More work is going on behind the scenes – administration, marketing, archives and research, etc.
- The work is stimulating, worthwhile and (if you want) challenging.
- Engage with Britain’s industrial heritage.
- Gain satisfaction from welcoming visitors and increasing their enjoyment.
- You will learn new skills and acquire new knowledge.
- You can find a fresh start, different perspectives, new friends.
- Indulge your passion.
Ways To Volunteer
- Meet and greet our visitors as the welcoming face of the museum.
- Share your enthusiasm by working as guides for education and group visits.
- Work as (or assist) a Volunteer Engineer in keeping our engines and pumps in good working order.
- Maintain displays.
- Working behind the scenes in archiving, finance, admin, IT or marketing.
- Keeping the museum grounds neat and tidy.
- Help with DIY and routine maintenance.