Fire hydrant. Make unknown. Little is known about this fire hydrant except that it was used at Rotherwas Camp, Hereford, from 1912 to 1914 as a point from which water at high pressure and volume could be taken for fire hoses.Read more
Portfolio Tag: Fire Hydrant 1910
- 01https://www.waterworksmuseum.org.uk/about/event/december-events/All day01/12/19-31/12/19The Waterworks Museum - Hereford, Hereford, United KingdomThe Waterworks Museum - Hereford, Hereford, United Kingdom
Did You Know?
Volunteers run every aspect of the Museum – we have no paid staff.
To create the Noel Meeke Heritage Water Park a team of 30 volunteers gave over 2,300 hours of their time.
In 2015, volunteers welcomed over 5,400 visitors to the Museum (a record year).
Our working triple-expansion steam engine, which stands two-floors high, was built in 1895 and continued in use supplying water to Hereford until 1952.
The Museum’s collection totals over 3,500 items (including books, documents and records relating to the water industry).
The Museum’s display in the Rotherwas Building is the only permanent exhibition dedicated to Hereford in WWII.
The main Museum building is one of less than 6% of all listed buildings that is rated as Grade II*.
The collection includes many important items of our industrial heritage, which but for the intervention of the Museum would have been lost forever.
The Waterworks Museum was established over 40 years ago in 1974.
In 2000, the Museum was on the listed buildings ‘at risk’ register and at risk of closure.
The oldest part of the Museum is 160 year old and dates back to 1856 and the creation of Hereford City’s first municipal water supply.
The Museum’s oldest exhibit, a horse drawn fire engine, dates to 1805 and was used on the estate at Stoke Lacey.