Portfolio Tag: 1856

Museum Main Building 1856 – 1906

Museum main building; Hereford's Victorian water-pumping station The Hereford Improvement Act of 1854 gave the City Council permission to pave the streets of High Town (the central part of Hereford), install gas lighting, and to provide the citizens with piped, potable water. A site for the waterworks was chosen at Broomy Hill, about 1km upstream…
Read more

Guest & Grimes Water Level Instrument 1856

Original water-level indicator on site (1856), installed to monitor the level of water in the sump below the building from which the first beam engine pumped water. A float on the water surface connects by cord to a drum mechanism which actuates the indicating needle through gearing. The sump is supplied by water through deep…
Read more