Portfolio Category: 1800's

Simpson Beam Engine Pump 1851

Harvey's of Hayle, Cornwall. Built to a Simpson design specifically developed for waterworks use. Originally installed at Ely Wells, Cardiff in 1851 to pump clean water after polluted water from the River Taff had killed one in fifty of the population in an outbreak of cholera in 1850. Later pumped water at Rhiwbina before being…
Read more

Joseph Evans Reciprocating Pump 1888

Joseph Evans double-acting single-cylinder reciprocating pumps. Joseph Evans & Co of Wolverhampton. Two pumps in the form of a handed pair originally driven by double-acting steam cylinders. Installed at Alton Court Waterworks, Ross-on-Wye, to lift water from boreholes to a closed reservoir above the town. In 1912 the steam cylinders were replaced by a National…
Read more

X