Simpson Beam Engine Pump 1851

  • Harvey's of Hayle, Cornwall.
  • Built to a Simpson design specifically developed for waterworks use.
  • Originally installed at Ely Wells, Cardiff in 1851 to pump clean water after polluted water from the River Taff had killed one in fifty of the population in an outbreak of cholera in 1850.
  • Later pumped water at Rhiwbina before being moved again to Llanishen reservoir.
  • This example is of the same make, size and type as the original which stood in this position at Hereford.
  • Power: 15.2kW (20hp).
  • Flywheel diameter: 3.7 metres (12 feet).