Trustees of the Waterworks Museum were delighted to receive Mr Chris Jones, Chief Executive of Dwr Cymru Welsh Water, as their principal guest at an open day to celebrate the 160th anniversary of the first piped water supply to residents of Hereford in 1856.
Welsh Water has been a partner and one of the Museum’s principal benefactors for over 40 years. The company owns the site and Grade II* Listed Building from which the Museum operates and has donated many of the Museum’s important exhibits, and this partnership has for many years delivered an education programme at the Museum which is freely available and highly valued by local primary schools. Before Mr Jones unveiled a plaque in the oldest part of the Museum, he spoke in response to the Chairman’s welcome of the value Welsh Water place on the partnership with the Waterworks Museum, which tells of the important industrial and social history associated with piped public water supply and uses anniversaries, such as this, to celebrate past achievements. He also spoke of the investment Welsh Water is making in Herefordshire today to match the ambition of Hereford City Councillors 160 years ago - to deliver a service that would be ‘inferior to none in the country’.
For just over 100 years (until 1960) responsibility for Hereford's water supply sat directly with the City Council, so the Chairman was also very pleased to welcome Deputy Mayor, Councillor Rachel Michael, and former mayor, Councillor Phil Edwards.