Ross on Wye
Many people are familiar with the story of John Kyrle, the Great Man of Ross, and his philanthropic work in providing a drinking water fountain for the people of Ross in the early 18th century.
They are often less familiar with the names of Alderman Thomas Blake and his nephew Henry Blake and their work in the 1870’s to provide a permanent, piped and wholesome water supply for Ross.
This story was told at Easter 2018 in a special edition of the Museum’s journal, WaterWords – click here to read a copy.
This also refers to a new exhibit opened at the Museum in 2018, The Old Workshop, which has a special connection to Ross on Wye.
The Museum also put together some additional information which was displayed at the Museum at Easter 2018, and for several weeks afterwards. Aspects of this information is made available below – just click on the appropriate link.
Other information available in the Museum archive includes photographs from Alton Court showing the engines and pumps before they were moved to the Waterworks Museum.