Historic Water Supply to Herefordshire’s County Town
The Waterworks Museum is housed in Hereford’s Victorian water pumping station but its collection includes artefacts, each of which tells a story, gathered from across Herefordshire.
The purpose of this page is to bring together information about historic water supplies to Herefordshire’s market towns, starting with Ross on Wye. We started with Ross because the Museum has more engines and pumps from Alton Court water works, which served Ross for around 100 years from the 1870’s, than from any other location after Hereford City. At Easter 2018, the Museum held the first of a series of annual events focusing on historic water supplies and discovering the new stories that lie behind them.
If anyone reading this page has undertaken, or has access to, research on water supplies to other market towns or villages then we would gladly consider adding it here (subject to obtaining necessary permissions).
Future articles will appear on Kington, Bromyard and Hay on Wye as they feature in the Museum’s Historic Water Supplies event at Easter in the coming years.