At the Annual General Meeting on Monday 7 March 2016, the Members of the Museum honoured the outgoing Chairman, Dr Noel Meeke MBE, by unanimously agreeing to a renaming of the Museum’s outdoor exhibition space as The Noel Meeke Heritage Water Park. Noel, who was also awarded a personal title of Honorary Companion of the Waterworks Museum,…Read more
Category Archives: news
- Category Archives: "news"
- 01https://www.waterworksmuseum.org.uk/about/event/march-events-2/All day01/03/19-31/03/19
Did You Know?
To create the Noel Meeke Heritage Water Park a team of 30 volunteers gave over 2,300 hours of their time.
The Museum’s oldest exhibit, a horse drawn fire engine, dates to 1805 and was used on the estate at Stoke Lacey.
The Museum’s collection totals over 3,500 items (including books, documents and records relating to the water industry).
In 2015, volunteers welcomed over 5,400 visitors to the Museum (a record year).
The oldest part of the Museum is 160 year old and dates back to 1856 and the creation of Hereford City’s first municipal water supply.
The collection includes many important items of our industrial heritage, which but for the intervention of the Museum would have been lost forever.
Our working triple-expansion steam engine, which stands two-floors high, was built in 1895 and continued in use supplying water to Hereford until 1952.
The main Museum building is one of less than 6% of all listed buildings that is rated as Grade II*.
The Waterworks Museum was established over 40 years ago in 1974.
The Museum’s display in the Rotherwas Building is the only permanent exhibition dedicated to Hereford in WWII.
Volunteers run every aspect of the Museum – we have no paid staff.
In 2000, the Museum was on the listed buildings ‘at risk’ register and at risk of closure.