The Waterworks Museum is open every Tuesday all year round, except two weeks at Christmas and New Year. It is staffed, managed and run entirely by volunteers to the highest professional standards. In Steam Days The Museum endeavours to have as many of its engines working as possible. Clearly vintage engines are subject to break-down and…Read more
- 01https://www.waterworksmuseum.org.uk/about/event/december-events/All day01/12/19-31/12/19The Waterworks Museum - Hereford, Hereford, United KingdomThe Waterworks Museum - Hereford, Hereford, United Kingdom
Did You Know?
Volunteers run every aspect of the Museum – we have no paid staff.
The oldest part of the Museum is 160 year old and dates back to 1856 and the creation of Hereford City’s first municipal water supply.
The main Museum building is one of less than 6% of all listed buildings that is rated as Grade II*.
The Waterworks Museum was established over 40 years ago in 1974.
Our working triple-expansion steam engine, which stands two-floors high, was built in 1895 and continued in use supplying water to Hereford until 1952.
To create the Noel Meeke Heritage Water Park a team of 30 volunteers gave over 2,300 hours of their time.
The Museum’s collection totals over 3,500 items (including books, documents and records relating to the water industry).
The collection includes many important items of our industrial heritage, which but for the intervention of the Museum would have been lost forever.
The Museum’s oldest exhibit, a horse drawn fire engine, dates to 1805 and was used on the estate at Stoke Lacey.
In 2015, volunteers welcomed over 5,400 visitors to the Museum (a record year).
The Museum’s display in the Rotherwas Building is the only permanent exhibition dedicated to Hereford in WWII.
In 2000, the Museum was on the listed buildings ‘at risk’ register and at risk of closure.